At Brown and Baran Family Dentistry, our foremost concern is the oral health of our patients. Behind every stunning smile is solid dental health, including teeth that are free from decay and gums that are unaffected by disease. In order to help our patients achieve and maintain excellent oral health, we offer a comprehensive range of general dentistry treatments, including thorough dental exams and professional cleanings at our state-of-the-art Seaford office.
Do you need a dental exam and professional cleaning?
The American Dental Association recommends that you visit the dentist at least twice a year for a dental exam and professional cleaning. This is the surest way to maintain the health of your teeth and gums, as well as to identify and treat potential dental problems in their earliest possible stages. Many common dental problems, including gum disease, do not produce noticeable symptoms in their earliest stages, which means that you could be suffering from an issue while still believing your mouth to be in perfect health.
Here are some questions to help you determine whether it is time to visit our practice for a dental exam and professional cleaning:
- When was the last time you had your mouth thoroughly examined, including x-rays?
- When was the last time you had your teeth and gums professionally cleaned?
- When was the last time you had your gums screened for periodontal disease, the most common disease among American adults?
- When was the last time you had your mouth screened for oral cancer?
- When was the last time you received information on the most effective ways to keep your teeth and gums free from harmful bacteria and plaque between dental visits?
If your answer to any of these questions is not “within the last six months,” then it is time to schedule an appointment for an exam at Brown and Baran Family Dentistry. If your answer to any of these questions is “I can’t remember” or “never,” then you should consider scheduling a dental exam and professional cleaning an urgent matter, as your oral health is at tremendous risk, even if you are not currently experiencing any tooth or gum pain.
What can you expect during a dental exam and professional cleaning?
Your appointment will begin with a consultation with one of our esteemed dentists, who will discuss your medical and dental history with you. He will take the time to learn a little bit about your past dental experiences, your current needs and goals, and what you would like to achieve in terms of the health and appearance of your smile.
Your professional cleaning will be extremely important in that it will allow our dentists to remove plaque and bacteria that you cannot reach with your toothbrush and dental floss. They will also remove tartar, a substance that cannot be removed without the aid of a dental professional.
Your dental exam will include:
- A comprehensive assessment of your mouth, including your teeth, gums, tongue, throat, and other oral tissues.
- X-rays of your mouth.
- Cancer and periodontal screenings.
- An assessment of your head, neck, jaw, temporomandibular joints (TMJs), and bite.
- Diagnosis of any dental problems, along with a discussion of any necessary treatments.
Learn More about Dental Exams and Professional Cleanings
To schedule your dental exam and professional cleaning, please contact Brown and Baran Family Dentistry today.